A grant funding programme to help communities living within five miles of certain waste transfer stations or landfill sites take action for their local environment.
The Landfill Tax Communities scheme is open to applications 00:01 2 June 2021 and closes 23:59 31 August 2021.
Funding is available for projects starting no earlier than 25 October and ending no later than 31 March 2023.
The Landfill Disposals Tax (LDT) Communities Scheme is a Welsh Government funding programme managed by WCVA. The scheme supports local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill.
Who and what will it fund?
The fund will be open to any organisation for projects focusing on one or more of the following themes:
Biodiversity – create resilient ecological networks for the benefit of a range of habitats and species:
- Improve conditions to help native species, pollinators and provide opportunities for new planting
- Restore, maintain and enhance natural habitats
- Engage and support participation and understanding to embed biodiversity
Waste minimisation and the diversion of waste from landfill – promote awareness and best practice to reduce the amount of waste produced:
- Encourage prevention, re-use, recovery and recycling of waste
- Reduce food waste and support initiatives such as composting
- Engage and support understanding to enable waste to be seen as a resource
Wider environmental enhancements – bring wider community benefit through improving quality of place:
- Create community green spaces and support green infrastructure
- Bring neglected and run-down areas back into community use
- Maintain or improve community facilities, for example community halls